The Gujarat Lions (GL) defeated Rising Pune Supergiant (RPS) by seven wickets in match 13 of 2017 Indian Premier League at the Saurashtra Cricket Association (SCA) Stadium in Rajkot.
Chasing a target of 172, set by Rising Pune Supergiant, openers, Brendon McCullum and Dwayne Smith got GL off to a fiery start, as the duo added 94 runs inside the first 10 overs. Their wickets fell but Suresh Raina and Aaron Finch took them over the line, played splendidly and made sure the hosts crossed the finishing line with two overs to spare.
Gujarat Lions debutant and all-rounder, Andrew Tye provided the second hat-trick of the day even as the RPS reached 171/8 in the IPL. Tye bagged five wickets (5/17), the first in this edition of the IPL, including a hat-trick in the final over of Pune's innings, which yielded only four runs, as the visitors lost the settled duo of Manoj Tiwary (31), Ankit Sharma (25) and then Shardul Thakur (0) off consecutive deliveries.
Here are the highlights of the match:
- Suresh Raina became the first cricketer to play his 150th IPL game.
- Suresh Raina took a brilliant catch of Ajinkya Rahane at the slip to remove him.
- Ajinkya Rahane departed for duck as he was dismissed in the first over.
- Steve Smith scored 41 before getting dismissed by Dwayne Smith.
- 25 runs were scored in Praveen Kumar's second over in the innings.
- Ben Stokes was removed by Andrew Tye. He scored 25.
- MS Dhoni's agony with the bat continued as he was dimissed leg-before by Ravindra Jadeja.
- 27 balls were taken for Pune to get fifty in this match - their quickest in the IPL.
- It was the first instance when two hat-tricks were taken in a day in the history of IPL.
- Andrew Tye's performance followed Samuel Badree's hat-trick against Mumbai Indians in the day's first match.
- Tye's final over yielded only four runs as RPS lost the settled duo of Manoj Tiwary (31), Ankit Sharma (25) and then Shardul Thakur (0) off consecutive deliveries.
- Dwayne Smith scored a whirlwind 47 from 30 deliveries as Gujarat lost their first wicket for 94.
- ImranTahir leaked 53 runs from his quota of 4 overs and got just one wicket.
- 10 boundaries (fours and sixes) conceded by Imran Tahir against Gujarat Lions, the most he has conceded in T20s.
- Debutant Shardul Thakur got the wicket of Dwayne Smith in his debut IPL game for Pune
- Pune have never defeated Gujarat in the IPL till now ( 2 times in IPL 9, once in IPL 10).
- 61-run partnership between Raina and Aaron Finch for the fourth wicket.
- Suresh Raina scored unbeaten 35 off 22 balls in his 150th IPL appearance.
The Gujarat Lions have hence claimed the first victory of their season.
Supergiant Vs Lions
171/8 (20) 172/3 (18)