Chris Gayle, who is in the news recently, for his allegedly controversial comments against a TV reporter, has now filed a defamation suit, against the Fairfax Media.
Melbourne Renegades fined Gayle for $10,000, after his controversial interview with female television reporter, Mel McLaughlin.
Chris Gayle, sought the services of a leading Australian lawyer, Mark O'Brien, to start defamation proceedings against Fairfax Media, over the allegations that, he indecently exposed himself to a lady TV reporter, in Sydney, during the World Cup, last year.
The incident is believed to have been raised with team management at the time by another staff member.
Gayle's management said in a statement, “Chris Gayle has strongly denied the allegations first published by Fairfax Media that he indecently exposed himself to a woman during last year's World Cup in Sydney.”
"Despite such denials, Fairfax Media continues to publish the false and defamatory allegations which have received widespread republication in media throughout the world.”
"As a result Chris Gayle has retained Mark O'Brien, a leading Australian media lawyer to immediately commence defamation proceedings against Fairfax Media," the statement read.
Gayle is set to bat in Saturday night's derby, against the Melbourne Stars at Etihad Stadium, despite appearing to aggravate a back injury, while batting in Hobart.
Meanwhile, the Renegades, have refused to make any further comment about remarks made by chief executive Stuart Coventry, who yesterday said that the allegations are ‘opportunistic’.
Last night, Gayle's manager did not respond to calls, while the ICC has distanced itself from the allegations, despite the World Cup being an ICC tournament.
Gayle is unlikely to be invited back to the BBL, following the interview with McLaughlin, which some CA officials felt warranted a suspension, rather than a fine.
Meanwhile, MCG staff confiscated signs carrying the slogan '#StandByGayle' during a BBL match between the Stars and Hobart Hurricanes, yesterday.
By Phani Ch