You love the meat but do not want it to cook in the usual way you do. If that is the situation you are facing and searching for some unique dish, to prepare with meat, your search ends here.
Not taking much time, let us jump into the recipe details of the delicious Anglo Indian meatball curry.
Anglo Indian Meatball Curry
Preparation time: 30 min
Cooking time: 45 min
1. Onions - 2, large, finely chopped
2. Red chili powder - 1 1/2 tsps
3. Curry leaves - 1 sprig
4. Coriander leaves - 2 tbsps, finely chopped
5. Tomato puree - 1 cup
6. Coconut milk - 1/2 cup
7. Coriander powder - 1 tbsp
8. Garam masala powder - 1/4 tsp
9. Turmeric powder - 1/2 tsp
10. Ginger garlic paste - 1 tbsp
11. Cumin powder - 1/4 tsp
12. Salt to taste
13. Cooking oil - 3 tbsps
For the Meatballs:
1. Mutton Kheema - 1/2 kg, finely minced meat
2. Green chilies - 2, finely chopped
3. Coriander leaves - 4 tbsps, finely chopped
4. Garam masala powder - 1/4 tsp
5. Salt - 1/2 tsp
1. Take a bowl and add thoroughly washed and minced mutton kheema. Add chopped green chilies, garam masala powder, coriander leaves and salt and mix well. Make small balls and keep aside.
2. Heat a heavy bottomed vessel, filling it with oil, and later add chopped onions and curry leaves and saute for 4 mts on low to medium flame. After noticing onions turning transparent, add the ginger garlic paste and saute for 3 mts.
3. Then mix up cumin powder, red chili powder, turmeric powder and coriander powder. Add tomato puree and cook on low to medium flame for 7 mts or till the oil gets separated.
4. Add garam masala powder and salt to taste and mix. Later add 1 1/2 cups of water and bring to a boil. Allow to simmer for 6-7 mts.
5. Now start dropping the minced meat balls one by one into the gravy and cook it on medium flame for 3 mts. Reduce flame, place lid and cook for 20 mts.
6. Add coconut milk and cook for 2 mts and turn off heat.
Meatballs are ready and it suits best with the combination of coconut rice.
Also read: Recipe: Mutton Rezala
How to prepare coconut rice?
1. In a cooking vessel, heat 1 1/2 tbsps of butter or ghee, add 2 cloves, 2 cardamoms, an inch of cinnamon stick and allow to crackle. Then add 2 cups of rice and saute on low flame for 2 mts.
2. Add 3 cups of thick coconut milk, 1 cup of water, 1/4 tsp of turmeric powder or 4 to 5 strands of saffron and salt and mix well. After it boils, reduce the flame and place lid. Put off after the rice is cooked well.
Tips for meat ball curry
1. You can even use minced chicken or beef instead of mutton mince.
2. If coconut milk is unavailable, add 2 tbsps of coconut paste, while cooking the tomato puree.
3. Do not ignore fresh coriander leaves, as they give a good flavor to the dish.
4. Add more water for a thinner consistency gravy/curry.
5. While preparing coconut rice, you can add a slit green chili at the time of crackling the whole spices.
Meatball curry, a classic Anglo Indian food served with coconut rice, makes the lunch lovable.
By Phani Ch